PROJECT NEWS 2
28th February 2016
The pledge revision exercise has increased total Schemes 2-6 pledges by £10,800, which is wonderful. More notably 31.5% of Scheme 1 pledgers have elected to leave at least some of their pledge in the Community fund, to a current total of £8,500 - that shows real Community spirit. So, a huge ‘thank you’ to you all.
A week in politics is a long time - and the last 2 weeks have been unrelenting! In particular, we have been talking to the Head of PFA Openreach [OR] from the base “We have done so much, and we are not far away; but now we really need your help”. Happily, OR not only listened and understood but began working to see what could be done. By last Wednesday we had an ‘In Principle’ Agreement with Openreach, in writing.
1. They have asked us to commit our orders and deposit before the end of March to secure our
place in their ‘delivery stack’ - and if we do, indications are that delivery before end 2016 is
2. To make it easier for us to proceed they have offered us a grace period to 6th May. If we can’t
raise the total funds by then we can cancel and the entire deposit would be refunded.
3. To help us further, they indicated an alternative funding route that they suggested we follow
As a result, we have started talks to secure funding which, when added to the existing pledges, would allow us to deliver the broadband project for the whole community. That is: schemes 2 to 6, with scheme 1 being delivered and funded by BT.
We are actively working on the timing and terms of the Funding Agreement. As soon as that is completed you will be advised, but we must stress that IT IS NOT DEFINITE YET. However, taking the cancellation clause into account we have sufficient confidence to take contract preparation forward with OR.
To place the order with OR we must have funds to cover the deposit, so in the next week we will be asking all those who have pledged to deposit their funds - by cheque or BACS. To achieve the planned end of March timescale we will need all funds in our bank account by Sunday 20th March at the latest.
We are asking the Champions to assist in this process and we will be contacting all those who have pledged to let them know the arrangements for paying in their contributions.
We believe that Members of the Community can have confidence in these new developments as:
The whole Management Committee are part of the decision making process.
In the event that the project does not go ahead, all funds will be returned in full.
If the project does go ahead and there is a surplus on completion, that surplus will be
returned to all those who have paid in funds pro-rata.
Chairman, Hyde Community Projects Ltd
29th March 2016
If you have been following our progress via the website and emails, you will know that we have been marching steadily towards our goal. (The last update was posted at the end of February and can be found here )
We have been watching the funds flow in through the month and our bank balance last night topped £114,700. This is a fantastic testament to your generosity - and your faith in the Project. We also received a significant boost when Openreach confirmed that, after negotiation with HMRC, our contract is not subject to VAT!! Not quite all the pledged amounts have been sent in, (**), but we are now very nearly ‘there’ - so near, in fact, that the Management Committee were unanimous in agreeing that we should grab the opportunity NOW - and with both hands!
So this morning we transferred the deposit to Openreach and at the same time lodged our signed contract with them to provide the quoted speeds to every one of our Scheme areas, (other than Scheme 1 that will be enabled free of charge under BDUK).
This has secured our March 2017 (latest) delivery date and Openreach have issued the change orders today; these are the orders that give our new cabinets definite numbers within the Openreach system and deliver our detailed plans to the team who will organise the build.
It’s just over a year since our first Public Meeting - and here we are, on our way.
What an amazing day this is!
Peter Dowling & Roly Errington
your Hyde Community Projects team
** The recent funding deadline of 20th March has passed, so if your pledge has not been sent in, please get it on its way without further delay!
Banking details are here:
Thursday 5th May
The contract for the supply of fast broadband to our Community was signed with Openreach on 29th March, and our 50% deposit (£67,258.50) was transferred on the same day. Every penny of this money has been given by YOU, the Community - we are humbled by your generosity.
We are over one month into the contract and will soon receive more details of the potential scheduling and other important details, which we will share with you via the website. A Project Manager will nominated by Openreach and we hope that he or she will provide a really useful bridge between us and the contractors.
Now that fast broadband is definitely going to be here in the next twelve months - (over 80% of our homes are scheduled to receive more than 24Mbps) - maybe now is the time for those who felt that they were unsure about making a pledge to reconsider and help their Community to gather in the last few thousand £…. Banking details are on the website, which will be kept updated as the contract progresses.
Friday 6th May
Many of you have been asking about the progress on funding and on the deadline of 6 May. The position is as follows:
The new cost from BT Openreach for Schemes 2-6 is £134k. Our pledges totalled £124k and all bar a handful have paid their funds - £123k has been collected. This leaves us around £10k short. The management team of Hyde Community Projects Ltd took the view that we could go ahead with the contract as this shortfall could be made up by March 2017 and to delay would mean we would miss early delivery windows. Risks were low as BT had also offered us a let out clause of 6 May relating to resolving our funding options. As a result that contract was signed on 29 March.
You may recall from 28 February emails and meetings in the village hall that BT Openreach suggested an alternative funding approach and gave us a deadline of 6 May to finalise our views of that option. Discussions with BT and the third party have been progressing but slowly and BT have extended that deadline until 6 June as they are partly responsible for the delays. Our next meeting is on the 23 May.
Clearly it would be best if we had all the funding in the bank already but we are confident that if the alternative solution doesn't work out then we can easily address the shortfall through revisiting those people who haven't contributed, by approaching those people who have indicated they are willing to pay more, and by approaching specific guarantors. This means the real focus is now on ensuring parity between the contract options. This will be our focus for the next few weeks.
More to follow........
September Project Overview Report